Honey

I planned to buy honey to be put on faith’s gums for her coming out little tooth in front, however when I mentioned it to terry, he object me not to buy it for faith… for it could bring harmful effects to her immune system. The doctor in the usa are advising parents not to feed the babies a food with honey flavor, it will affect the immune system of a baby so it will make it easier for the baby to get sick.Feeding honey to your baby could be harmful if he or she is younger than 12 months of age. Honey could be the cause of a rare type of food poisoning called infant botulism–a serious, even deadly, illness. Honey is the food most commonly found to contain the bacteria causing botulism. The American Academy of Pediatrics advises that honey should not be added to the food, water, or formula that is fed to infants younger than 12 months of age. This recommendation includes foods processed with honey.

Honey is a known source of bacterial spores called Clostridium botulinum that produce a toxin which can cause infant botulism. These spores can also be found in soil, water, uncooked food, and even household dust. Infant botulism can occur from breathing in vacuum cleaner dust, but eating honey is the number one preventable cause.

While honey is safe for infants over 12 months of age, infants under 12 months of age have not yet developed beneficial bacteria in their digestive tracts that can control botulism spores. Therefore, do not add honey to baby food, water, formula, or medicine. Do not dip a baby’s pacifier in honey. Even the honey in some processed foods can cause this problem. After an infant eats the spores of this bacteria, the disease can occur within a few hours or up to a week after the exposure

Us, here in the philippines are known to put the honey sauce in the babies gums, when babies teething now its a lesson for me not to buy it… thanks to honey terry for giving me such reliable information. muah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger... [ Tagged In ] ,

Comments are closed.